What we do
We create an enabling environment to attract investment that generates economic growth and job creation in Cape Town.
We do this by:
- advising City departments on maximising the economic benefits of their public investments and service delivery activities
- helping prospective investors find development and investment support
- positioning Cape Town as a forward-looking, globally competitive business destination
- strengthening and promoting Cape Town’s status as a high-performance, African business hub that supports big ideas and innovation
- working with key economic stakeholders to improve the business environment and support industry development in Cape Town.
“Cape Town is a world-class investment destination and is an excellent location from which businesses can launch their operations into the rest of the African continent. We are ready to help you build your business case for investment.”
Lance GreylingDirector: Enterprise and Investment
Some of the services offered by Enterprise and Investment include:
- Business operation and expansion (running and growing a business)
- Enterprise and supplier development (market access, match-making)
- Expert knowledge, support and development opportunities to small and medium sized businesses
- Facilitating skills programmes in partnership with SMEs and large firms for in-demand occupations and growth sectors
- Information on sector-specific business opportunities
- Investment facilitation
- Overcoming regulatory processes that create red tape (licenses, permit approvals)
Enterprise and Investment consists of the following branches:
The unit facilitates the development of Cape Town’s economy by creating a positive and enabling environment to do business, develop skills and promote trade and investment. We fund identified special purpose vehicles (SPVs) to deliver sector projects, facilitate investment, create jobs, skills development opportunities and programmes aligned to the City’s strategic priorities.
Supports private sector and inter-governmental development projects through infrastructure coordination and development planning. To assist potential investors, the unit coordinates City development services while drawing on the services of the City’s external business support partners.
Works to create the conditions for small to medium enterprises to start and grow through transversal implementation of the Business Support Policy and alignment of business-facing City policies and programmes. The unit advances the City’s opportunity and inclusivity agenda by ensuring that its policies and programmes create an attractive climate for business growth and investment. It does this by partnering with business-facing City departments and industry stakeholders to create conditions for small businesses to grow and expand.
The unit provides facilitation services for major investments which are deemed strategically important. We also manage and administer the City’s incentives programme, work with various City departments to identify and address systemic bottlenecks in City processes to make it easier for investors to make their investment, and provide after care and business retention services to investors.
The unit promotes Cape Town as a premier travel, events and investment and study destination in Africa. To increase the number of visitors to Cape Town, we promote Cape Town’s diverse offerings and promote the city internationally by leveraging strategic events that enhance Cape Town’s reputation as an ideal place to live, work, play, invest and study in. Place Marketing also builds and propagates the Invest Cape Town initiative, the new business brand and narrative of the City.
Explore Invest Cape Town to learn more about what we do.