The Newlands Spring and Bradwell Spring reopened to the public on Monday 15 June 2020. Residents who visit these sites are asked to please take note of the new health and safety protocols in effect.
The City of Cape Town’s Water and Sanitation department has received clearance from City Health and Law Enforcement to open the two City-managed spring water collection points in the metro.
Both sites – Newlands Spring and Bradwell Spring,will be open seven days a week, from 05:00 to 21:00.
The public must adhere to the following rules at all times when visiting the sites:
• Collections are limited to a maximum of 25 litres at a time to prevent backlogs from forming
• No entry to the site without a mask
• Keep a physical distance of 1.5 meters from others at all times.
• Sanitise your hands upon entering the site.
• Open and closed taps with the back of your hands
• Ensure your container does not touch the tap
The following safety measures are being put in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
• Eight taps will be open (out of the current 16) at the Newlands spring site to allow for physical distancing during water collection.
• Additional security will be provided to manage the physical distancing, parking arrangements, and other COVID-19 regulations.
• Hand Sanitizer will be provided at the entrance to the facility
• Security will be monitoring and ensuring that containers do not touch the bottom part of the tap.
• This water is not for commercial use, and may not be sold. City staff (City Health, Law Enforcement and Water Department) will monitor the site and act on municipal transgressions as they arise.
Residents are reminded that the spring water is not treated, and it is used at the residents’ own risk.
‘Recognising that these sites are very important to many residents, and their significance in the city’s culture, a special effort was made to open the spring water collection points as soon as we could. We kindly ask that residents comply with health and safety measures to allow everyone to use these sites safely and efficiently.’ said Alderman Xanthea Limberg, the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Water and Waste.
WHERE: The Newlands Springs, Spring Way off Dean Street Newlands 7700 (on the northern side of the Newlands Swimming Pool, near the Dean Street Shopping Centre). Bradwell Springs site is located on the corner of Upper Buitenkant and Ludlow Street, Cape Town 8001.
WHEN: Daily 05:00 to 21:00
See also MapMyWay